Walla Walla Sweet Onion Sauté
by Joan Deccio Wickham
Culinary Instructor and Food Stylist
Caramelizing Walla Walla Sweet Onions produces a delicate rich flavor. Combined with a Sauté of sweet bell peppers, Italian sweet sausages, and sprinkled with fresh basil, makes a delightful and colorful summer supper.
- 2 large Walla Walla Sweet Onions, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut in half, seeded and sliced
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, cut in half, seeded and sliced
- 4 Italian sweet sausages cooked and cut in half
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil, chopped
1. In a large skillet, cook onions in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until caramelized. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from pan an place in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat remaining olive oil in the pan. Add red and yellow peppers. Cook until soft. Season to taste. Combine with the cooked onions, and sausages. Cook another 2 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil, and toss. Serve with crusty Italian Bread.