Bucatini Alla Cipolle
by Joan Deccio Wickham
Culinary Instructor and Food Stylist
- 2 pounds Walla Walla Sweet Onions
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ pound Pancetta, sliced and cut into small strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 pound Bucatini
- ½ cup freshly grated parmigiano
1. Peel and cut onions into thin slices. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions and 1/3 cup water. Cover the skillet and cook very slowly over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir a few times during the cooking and add to bit more water if the sauce dries out too much. Add the Pancetta and season with salt and several grindings of pepper. Raise the heat and remove lid. Cook, stirring, until the onion and bacon mixture takes on a light golden color. Stir in the parsley.
2. Bring to boil 5 quarts of water, add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta. Cook for 8 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Drain and add to the skillet with the sauce. Mix well. If the sauce is too dry add a bit of the pasta water. Serve hot, accompanied by the parmigiano.